Thursday, October 7, 2010

Time Machine issues when hard drive is partitioned

I have a Mac Book Pro (Snow Leopard) and set up Time Machine using a 1 TB Seagate external USB hard drive. The first time I set it up, I partitioned the drive into 600GB and 400GB and used the 600GB partition for Time Machine -- leaving the 400 GB partition for standard backups. However I found that the behavior of Time Machine was very buggy. For instance, if I tried to enter TM with any programs open, the Mac would freeze and I would have to restart.

So in order to use TM I had to close every program I had running. Secondly, about a month ago I maxed out the 600GB and TM stopped working altogether. It would just fail when I tried to back up.

In any event, I reformatted the drive to a single 1TB partition and now Time Machine works exactly as advertised...

UPDATE (November 5): After a few months I have had another error that the HD cannot be used by Time Machine and cannot be repaired. Either the HD is defective for Time Machine just doesn't play nice with it...

No comments: